Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Dream Catcher

In psychology, we learn about dreaming, rem cycles, and all the properties that make up our brain activity during sleep. But honestly, no matter how much the science of our makeup can explain away the "odd happenings" in our life, I am convinced that sometimes as bizarre as this may sound, my dreams are parables, much like Christ used while he was on earth.

Here let me explain; two nights ago I was doing what many of us students do to avoid studying, which was facebook stalking. Somehow I stumbled on the pages of two girls who I was semi-acquainted with in high school and was subconsciously sticking my nose up to their life choices; both of them have had illegitimate babies in the last few years. I don't think I fully realized how much disdain I had for these girls, despite my words of congratulations that I uttered anytime I would bump into them at the grocery store, pinching their little ones cheeks and talking in that really high voice we were programmed to do anytime something small and cute is in view.

My dream: when I went to sleep that night I was suddenly extremely pregnant and experienced a rapid labor then obviously birth of my own child; I remember it distinctly to be a girl. Let me say that I have defiantly experienced love, I love my parents, siblings, various children that I nannied, baby cousins, but never have I had my own child and consequently am completely ignorant of the intimacy between a baby and their mother. But after I gave birth in my dream, I am certain that I was full of this absolute agape for my daughter. I held her with the utmost tenderness and could do nothing but explode with excitement for the little life in my arms.

Then, much like my real life, I began to realize that I had no husband, and as much as I loved my little girl I hated that everywhere I turned someone was judging the illegitimacy of my child. How could I be so torn between adoration and despise for this tiny life that I had created?

Lesson- Papa (God, Christ, Holy Spirit) does not tolerate any hate that I might have for a mother and child, or anything for that matter. In my dream, as much as I needed to know my little girl was worthy of genuine love from people, these girls from my high school need real, raw, pure agape from Papa's family; including me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
"The true secret to happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in the details of daily life." -William Morris