Thursday, April 16, 2009

Perfect and less than

Sitting inside this morning is almost an insult to the weather. Though I have to be honest, most people may be surprised by this comment considering that the popular opinion of what classifies a "nice day" must include sunshine. I however, will argue that when the sky is painted with thick gray stratocumulus (lumpy, layered that can produce a rain or drizzle) the colors that come with spring such as washed out pale greens, yellows, purples, and pinks as Easter depicts, are magnified and transformed into rich deep plush green, gold, violet, and crimsons. I can practically smell the grass growing, the birds sing a little more cheerfully with the hopes of an April shower; their voices penetrate into my small room leaving little place for complete silence or gloom.

The rain brings also the promise of hot tea and excuses to ignore foreboding class assignments.

Thought 2
Eating in the caf is simply a daily ritual that helps us to avoid starvation. Although I don't usually consider myself the first to complain about our cafeteria, I was given the opportunity this morning as I sat alone waiting for my breakfast companion to fully digest the idea of what I was eating. I have a theory; the caf is a fine place to eat if your only wish is to fill your stomach. Eat fast and the taste is hardly an issue, but as I was sitting alone with my thoughts, I began to chew on a usually ok tasting steak finger (the name alone should have warned me) when for the first time I though about the textures and flavors of what I was eating. It should not be considered enjoyable to taste the chunks of processed meat mashed into a rectangular shape and deep fried. Is in not a bad sign when we cover every morsel is sauce to hide the distinct nastiness of what we are consuming?

Second, I began cutting my perfectly square waffle, realizing that this was completely off base, haven't we always been told that the authenticity of a stone comes from its imperfections? For this reason, I became weary that my waffle was not even close to hand made, but had eggo stamped all over its symmetrical shell.

At last I had the privilege of eating something natural, a whole beautifully ripe Banana. How absolutely wonderful to eat fresh fruit despite its chemical enhancement and preservatives was delicious and upfront. Thank You Hardin Simmons dining services for providing me with at least one authentic experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
"The true secret to happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in the details of daily life." -William Morris