Thursday, April 30, 2009

Reduse...Reuse...Reve heard it all before

I was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, everyday until I we moved when I was six; I remember my mom would let me watch one hour of television. I had to choose wisely, and usually ended up picking Sesame Street since channel 18 was the only one I knew how to get to. I think the slogan "go green" is a recent fashion and the in-style trend when it comes to our environment. But I don't think that this campaign is a new effort to any extent, I can remember in all those hours of Sesame Street, being exposed to the constant footage of recycling our paper, oh the warm memories I have eating my pb&j while humming along to the catchy tune that brought you through the paper plant. "Old Paper, New Paper"




I will be forever reminded to turn the sink off while I brush my teeth, or the catchy tune "The Wasteroon" will pop into my head and I will be reminded of that little fish at the bottom of the pond who will run out of water and end up in my bathtub (Sort of disturbing).



This semester I took a class called "Outdoor Leadership" and have spent three weekends is the dense wilderness of Texas and Oklahoma sharpening my skills of orienteering, kayaking, "team building", knot tying, climbing, rappelling, hiking, cooking ECT. On our most recent trip this past weekend, we went to the Wichita Mountains of the Animal Reservation near Meers, OK (Home of the world famous Meers burger).

On Saturday I spent my morning hiking and bouldering all over the baby mountains, I have to admit there is quite a thrill in jumping over crevices that stretch over 50 feet down, and trusting the grip of my Italian made hiking boots and solidity of the slag. While I was conquering one particularly slanted, shelf face I noticed a plastic water bottles wedged in a crack about a ten foot distance from where I was clinging, and was absolutely appalled. However, I did nothing to reverse the injustice and chose to leave the human mark that was insulting the beauty of nature. Am I any different from the individual who left that plastic disaster there in the first place?

The next day, our final activity of the weekend was to drive to the top of the ranges highest peak, Mt. Scott, a grasping 2,801 footer. I would say the first issue is that a road was built at all; shouldn't we have to work harder to enjoy the beauty and power that "top of the mountain" experience gives us? Standing on the man made deck, I could see miles in every direction, graceful shapely ranges and stretches of prairie vast before me, freeing and exhilarating. But if I just tilted my head to the stretch of peak below my feat I was assaulted with a make shift dump sight. All twenty-nine of us took trash bags and began to scrape as much of the nastiness away from the rocky ground as possible. There was anything from dirty diapers to Styrofoam cups. Bob Sanderson, our director told me that another time that he had been up there picking up glass bottles and a group of "distinguished" gentlemen were sipping on a few classy Keystones and decided to dispose of them a few feet from Bob. Can we really be so cruel and ignorant?

Do me a favor and don't ignore Sesame Street.


2 comments:

  1. I read your Chaotic Surrender. My favorite parts; 1: "The pastor reminded both Brittany and Meguell that they would never be each others 'first love'", which puts to rest this pressure of how I have to be this Night in Shinning Armor for my significant other and be all I need for myself and God who is and always have been an infinite source of balance and insight, the ultimate source. 2: The other is "Whatever You're doing inside of me
    It feels like chaos but somehow there's peace". That's what I consider the best moments in my life. Besides traveling, art, and experiencing love with others, his majesty is a wonder to delight upon. I think you just blogged some lyrics but I'll look up the song later. I am sorry about your fall from the horse, but it was cool to read about all the adventures. It can in many ways be looked on as your fall from grace but a strengthening state of your relationship with him. I am quite a sesame street child myself. No jokes, I am always cautious of the lights or water and using excessive amounts of our resources. School House Rock is another after-school coach of mine. I hope to have my kids on those kinds of productions. GO-GREEN is a very attractive trend in my book. Gotta see this world before it all goes to ruin. Thanks Krisi, glad to have worked with you. Godspeed in your future and personal voyages with your father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my art page by the way
    http://nodnarbhtims.deviantart.com/

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
"The true secret to happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in the details of daily life." -William Morris